History, Achievements, and Awards

History

In the early 1900’s, Harvey Gray, a prominent Tyrone businessman, had a vision—to build a hospital to care for the people of Tyrone and surrounding areas. When Mr. Gray passed away and his last will and testament was filed, it was found that he directed some income from certain investments to go toward maintaining a general hospital in Tyrone. When Harvey’s widow, Adda, died fifteen years later, their combined bequests provided $150,000 of “seed money” to establish Tyrone Hospital. The Tyrone Borough Water Department provided the location, donating nearly 17 acres of wooded land west of the Laurel Ridge. The people of Tyrone realized the Gray’s vision of a community hospital over a period of years. Numerous community residents, businesses, and social and civic organizations donated time and funds to support the construction of the hospital. A contribution was also made by Tyrone’s famous son, Fred Waring, who gave a concert in Tyrone to benefit Tyrone Hospital.

On September 20, 1954, Tyrone Hospital opened its doors and accepted its first patient. Over the years, the hospital has grown to bring personalized health care not only to the residents of Northern Blair County, but also to communities in neighboring counties. That growth has included state of the art medical equipment, an expanded range of services, primary care physician offices in several communities across the area and a diverse medical staff.

In June, 2014 leaders at Tyrone Hospital announced a new name and the creation of Tyrone Regional Health Network (TRHN), a new name that better described the collaborative, community-based healthcare offered through the hospital and all its affiliates across the region.

Another important development was announced in July 2015, when a letter of intent was signed for Tyrone Regional Health Network (TRHN) to become a member of Penn State Health. Tyrone membership with Penn State Health will bring together a community based healthcare network with a reputation for high quality care and excellent customer service with a high-performing university medical center of world-class healthcare professionals.

Tyrone Hospital Grand Opening 1954
Fred Waring (back seat) with Annie Getz, Ben Jones and Tedd Feller (Driving) at the hospital grand opening in 1954.

Awards & Achievements

Blair County Chamber of Commerce Business Awards Program
  • Tyrone Hospital is currently on the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s honor roll of healthcare facilities achieving greater than 90% administration of influenza vaccine to employees.
  • 2014-2015 Certificate of Excellence from Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) and the Pennsylvania Immunization Coalition for administering the influenza vaccine to ninety-three percent of its workforce.
  • 2014 Achievement Award for Community Benefit Innovation from The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP)
  • 2013-2014 Certificate of Excellence from Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) and the Pennsylvania Immunization Coalition for administering the influenza vaccine to ninety-four percent of its workforce.
  • 2013 Louis A. Ditzel Jr. Award for Quality Improvement in Rural Health from the Pennsylvania Office of Rural Health.
  • 2013 Honorable Mention, National Rural Health Resource Center Award for Excellence and Innovation in Community Engagement.
  • 2011 Blair County Chamber of Commerce Business Hall of Fame Inductee
  • 2011 Recognized by Highmark QualityBLUE Lite Program for achieving the maximum score of 100% in meeting evidence based clinical standards of care for pneumonia patients.