Tyrone Regional Health Network/Tyrone Hospital is participating in the 2019 Hospital & Health System Association (HAP) Donate Life Challenge. The HAP Donate Life Hospital Challenge encourages Pennsylvania hospitals to increase organ donation awareness and encourage people to saves lives by becoming organ donors. The challenge takes place January 1, 2019 to April 30, 2019.
A kick-off event was held at Tyrone Hospital as part of the hospital’s activities and communication to support organ donation awareness. During the event hospital and community members hung a Donate Life flag in the hospital’s main lobby. The flag will remain on display until the end of April.
About Organ Donation
- In the United States, there is a large shortage of organ donors. Those on the organ donor transplant list can be waiting anywhere from several months to years for a life-saving organ.
- Someone is added to the organ donation waiting list every 10 minutes.
- Approximately 20 people die every day waiting for an organ.
- More than 113,808 people are waiting for an organ.
- One organ donor has the potential to save or improve more than 8 lives. One donor can provide: Kidneys, Pancreas, Liver, Lungs, Heart and Intestinal organs.
- Most Americans say they support organ donation, but only a small number know how to register.
HAP conducts the Donate Life Challenge in partnership with the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and the two organ procurement organizations serving Pennsylvania—the Center for Organ Recovery & Education and Gift of Life Donor Program.
Sign-up to be an organ donor using any of the following links.
Pictured at Tyrone Regional Health Network’s kick-off/flag raising for the Donate Life Challenge are hospital and community members.Pictured left side-left to right are Pastor Randy Zitterbart, Hillside Community Church – Tyrone and member of the Tyrone Regional Health Network/Tyrone Hospital Board of Directors, Kelly Biggs, M.D., Medical Director of Radiology at Tyrone Regional Health Network/Tyrone Hospital, Tara Morrison, Executive Assistant at Tyrone Hospital.
Pictured right side-front to back are Joseph J. Peluso CEO, Tyrone Regional Health Network/Tyrone Hospital, Anna Marie Anna, Chief Nursing Officer, Tyrone Regional Health Network/Tyrone Hospital and John Wagner, volunteer firefighter at the Blazing Arrow Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Department.